The establishment of this community was due in large part to the Minnesota River and its ability to transport goods to and from it. In 1852, a small trading post was created at the junction of the Credit River and the Minnesota River. From this small trading post, a small community grew. The area was initially called Hamilton. The city changed its name to Savage in honor of Marion Willis Savage who owned and trained a successful and celebrated racing horse known as Dan Patch.