After the Treaty of Traverse de Sioux was ratified in 1851, a military road was established n between the southern forts and Fort Snelling. JJ Brackett, a Saint Paul lumber businessman and mail carrier platted a site halfway between Saint Peter and Saint Paul. The area established in 1858 was Lakeville Township. Due to the mostly rural landscape, the early settlers to the town were mostly farmers. Most were Scandinavian and another group composed of English, Scots and Irish also settled in the area. Incorporation to cityhood was achieved in 1967.