When the Treaty of Traverse de Sioux was signed in 1851, many settlers mostly from Ireland and Germany began staking claims to the vast amount of land available west of the Mississippi River. While the Irish farmed the eastern part, the Germans claimed the wooded land to the west. Meanwhile many French and English settlers began building their homes along the river. Inver Grove Heights was named after the German town of Grove. In 1880, records showed that over 240 farms, 4 churches and 4 school districts were established.