The first settlers of Bloomington were Peter and Louisa Finn who in 1843 constructed a cabin in the area. The US government sent the couple to teach farming methods to the Native American population living there. Other notable people also followed like Gideon Hollister Pond a missionary and William Chambers and Joseph Dean who in 1849 established the Bloomington Ferry.  After the Treaty of Traverse de Sioux in 1851 was ratified, it allowed settlers to come to the area including Bloomington.  It was in fact the Goodrich, Whalon and Ames families that named the city Bloomington after Bloomington, Illinois which means “flowering field.”